Beef and Lentil Soup
- 1 tsp allspice (mixed spice will work too)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 500g beef mince (ground beef)
- 1 1/4 cups dried lentils (or 2 cans, drained)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1cm dice
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 2 zucchinis (small, or 1 large), cut into 1cm dice
- 100g green beans, trimmed, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 800g crushed canned tomato
- 4 cups / 1 litre beef stock, low sodium
- 3 cups water
- Yogurt (plain or Greek)
- Mix spices in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes until golden on the edges.
- Turn heat up to high, add beef and cook until it's no longer red, breaking it up as you go. Add 2 tablespoons of the Spice Mix and cook it for a further 2 minutes.
- Add carrot and celery, then stir for 1 minute.
- Add water, beef stock, canned tomato, lentils and remaining Spice Mix too. Give it a stir, bring to simmer, then place lid on and reduce to medium low so it's simmering gently.
- Simmer 15 minutes then add zucchini & green beans.
- Simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are soft (ie. 25 minutes total).
- Serve! Taste and add more salt if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve with yogurt.
- Lentils will take 25 – 30 minutes to cook until soft. Very old lentils can take 5 – 10 minutes longer.