Original Recipe Makes 1 cup (2 serves)
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter
- 1 eggs
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cook and stir milk, vanilla extract, and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove mixture from heat before it comes to a boil.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, and cornstarch together in a bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Set saucepan back over low heat. Pour in egg mixture slowly, whisking constantly, until custard thickens enough to coat the bottom of a spoon, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Alternative method: Heat all ingredients except the egg to a simmer. Whisk the egg in a seperate bowl then add a few tablespoons of the hot mix to the egg, one tablespoon at a time. Carry on with step 3.
- Good with chocolate chips or cinnamon.